Mercury Poisoning

Mercury poisoning is a disease that is caused by exposure to mercury or any of its toxic compounds. Mercury is a cumulative heavy metal poison. It can be harmful in its elemental, inorganic (not containing carbon), and organic (containing carbon) forms.

The three forms of mercury are harmful to different degrees due to differences in how they are absorbed and metabolized. There are other factors which play a role in the toxicity of mercury as well. Regardless of the form, all can inflict damage to the central nervous system as well as other organs or organ systems such as the liver and the gastrointestinal tract with sufficient exposure to mercury.

When a person is afflicted with mercury poisoning, he or she will exhibit a variety of symptoms. Sensory impairment, affecting vision, hearing, and speech; disturbed sensation; and a lack of coordination are all common symptoms of mercury poisoning. The type and degree of any symptoms exhibited will vary with the individual toxin, the dose of toxin received, the method of exposure, and the duration of the exposure.

Due to its toxicity, many countries have enacted campaigns to ban mercury completely due to its toxicity. In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration has recently decided to look into the toxicity claims of individuals with amalgam fillings. Amalgam fillings are a composite of mercury, silver, tin, and other metals.

If you have been exposed to mercury and treated for mercury poisoning, contact the Lake Geneva mercury poisoning lawyers of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at 1-800-275-1729 to discuss your case and to determine your legal options.